Today is our first DIY fun installment! I came across this entry from the 3 R’s blog
in my internet travels throughout the week. When I saw this I thought it would be a cute and simple project. I had a couple of flower seed magazines that I felt guilty throwing away that I could use as my medium. How cute would this be as a decorative flower-pot with flowers all over it!?
via the 3 R’s blog
My first attempt, well, it was bad. Brett and I tag teamed the directions and attempts for quite a few hours. Just because I had done a number of successful Netflix origami pieces did not mean I was an expert basket weaver. I came to find that there are not many photographer basket weavers that like to blog detailed step by step directions. Plenty of detailed cooking directions… but weaving a basket from paper… not so much.
My second attempt was a test. After many tries to get the sides interweave, I thought the lengths of paper might just be too short. The original directions called for newspaper and I was using a deconstructed magazine. The test was using a four by four base, leaving longer ‘sides’ to work with. Still tedious, but semi-successful. That was it for the night. I would consult with 3R’s blogger, Allison, the following day to vent.
Allison had a brilliant suggestion. Glue those short magazine pieces together to make longer pieces! I love it! We can make it bigger, not smaller, for success! I rushed home tackle the pile of colorful strips once more with renewed vigor. I decided I should photograph my exploits this time. Man, it sure looks like it took a lot less time when I cycle through these pictures.
First I removed the staples from the magazine
The stapless magazine, ready to cut up.
Very important step... sip of vodka based drink.
Cutting the magazine in halfFolding the cut strips in half
And fold againLast fold... dry skin is not requiredGlue stick... you are my friendI can't even focus. How is my skin that dry!?The forman... he's making sure everythings being done right.
I laid out ten of the strips to start weaving.
Let the weaving commence!
I kept going until I had all ten weaved inOnto the sides! I did use the twine step from the original directions this time since I thought I needed all the help I could get. I ended up just removing it after I got the sides together. It did nothing to help.
I found that a really important step here is to make sure that you start this middle weave with the same over under. In my case, I made sure that the one on my right went over the left one on each side.
Now that I have this first side started... reach for vodka
Pulling the sides to tighten it up
I used a lot of bobby pins, but I would recommend using at EVERY turn. Rinse and repeat on all four sides.
And time for more vodka
Break for some homemade butternut squash risotto. That's what Brett was working on while I was folding, glueing, weaving, and pinning.
Intertwine time. This was the step that illuded me last time. I'm taking all four weaved sides and weave them into each other. This got confusing and complicated. I stopped a lot for vodka fuel.
These are the tightening stages. Where time slips away and backs start to cramp up.
Alright, I just found the easier way to post the pictures… Much like the first tedious attempt with this project, there was an easier way. I’m giving up until I can revisit the pictures again.