So much for spring coming… snow snow and snow is back! We had such a spring tease this weekend. Brett and I fought the yard work and snapped shots of the blooming flowers. I also made these chocolate cupcakes with a raspberry cheesecake frosting. Our bestman and bridesmaid’s birthdays were last Sunday and today, so I wanted to make them some treats. I had some technical difficulties with the icing, but it was probably due to my ghetto pastry bag. *read Ziploc with a cheap plastic tip* This icing was too thick for the cheap plastic tips I have. I really need to invest in some real pastry bag tips soon. Anyhow! I had a recipe I found that I wanted to make, but realized I was short on my coco powder, so I turned to Martha Stewart. I couldn’t resist taste testing these while I was stranded here at home today… stupid snow.
Martha’s Margie-modified Chocolate Cupcake recipe
Makes a little more then 24 mini cupcakes
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 24-cup mini muffin tin with paper liners.
- Into a medium bowl, sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each, then beat in vanilla. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with sour cream and beginning and ending with flour.
- Scoop batter into cups, filling each 3/4 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, then pipe with icing using a ghetto pastrey bag.
Read more at Marthastewart.com: Chocolate Cupcakes – Martha Stewart Recipes
Raspberry Cheesecake Buttercream:
3/4 of a stick butter, softened
1/4 cup (2 ounces) cream cheese, softened
2 – 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, or until desired consistency is reached
2 1/2 ounces frozen raspberries, thawed and divided
1/2 tsp vanilla bean seeds
Cream butter and cream cheese in electric mixer for 1-2 minutes until fluffy. Slowly add 1/2 cup sugar and beat until smooth. Add half of the raspberries and mix until combined. Add remaining powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, and beat until well incorporated.
Add vanilla seeds and the remaining half of the raspberries and mix at medium-high speed until light and fluffy (2-3 minutes).
If needed, add more sugar as necessary to achieve proper consistency. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before frosting cupcakes if you’d like it to hold it’s shape. Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.